Frequently Asked Questions

First of all, you will need a valid visa to travel to Australia. There are a range of visas available that you may be able to choose from such as a student visa or a tourist visa. Your choice of visa depends on your career choice in terms of further studies and a range of personal circumstances. To find the best visa that will meet your needs, check the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website www.immi.gov.au or contact us at 1300 991 716 or email admissions@milestonesenglish.com.au * – You can only study for up to 3 months if you are in Australia on a tourist visa.

Our courses start every Monday so you can enrol at any time.

The length of your course depends on you. MEA can assess your current level in English before enrolment and advise you on how long you should study.

On your first day, you will be given a test to determine your level of English. After this, you will have a presentation about the school and go on a tour of the campus. You will then join the class for your first lesson.

There are a number of ways that you can look for a job in Australia. Ranging from newspaper classified ads to online job sites, these resources are very useful.
Some of the common job search websites are:

Milestones Career Workshops is a free weekly session where MEA students can get help from an English teacher with their resumes, cover letters, interview skills and other language problems related to finding and keeping a job.Our student support staff are also present to assist with obtaining tax file numbers (TFN), Australian Business Numbers (ABN) and other administrative requirements for working in Australia. The college is also actively developing our business and community network which will help us in assisting our students to find jobs through our connections.

We have dedicated Student Services officers available on campus as the first point of contact for student enquiries and referrals.

Yes, we have a range of extra activities for our students. For more details, please refer to the social calendar on our website or contact your student support officer.

Yes, you can change your course at any time. However, you must meet the entry requirements for the course that you are changing to.

Melbourne is a reasonably priced city providing good quality affordable living and abundant accommodation. Students will need about $18,610 per year (excluding tuition) to cover living expenses. The cost of living depends a lot on the kind of accommodation a student chooses. A married student with dependants will need approximately an additional $4,000 per year for each dependant. Below is a list of prices of typical daily items. This is only a guide. Remember that you can shop around for items such as clothing and shoes to find a cheaper source.

  • Renting a room: $120-$180
  • Groceries: $50-$80 a week
  • 1 packet of noodles: $1.50
  • 1 kg rice: $3-$4
  • 1 kg fresh fruit: $3-$5
  • 1 litre of milk: $2.00
  • Pre-paid mobile phone contract: around $30 per month
  • Transport pass, weekly, zone 1-2: $45
  • Litre petrol: $1.20 – $1.50
  • Hairdresser: $20.00 – $40.00
  • Movie tickets: $15.00 onwards